Recipe yields 12 cupcakes
2 cups crushed tomatoes
1 Tablespoon tomato paste
3 garlic cloves, freshly grated
48 wonton wrappers (usually found near tofu in produce section of grocery)
2 large balls of fresh mozzarella (from Dave & Tony Salumeria)
½ cup shredded parmesan
8 ounces of ricotta
1 bundle of basil (remove stems and chiffonade the leaves)
1) Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
2) Spray a 12-cupcake muffin tin with olive oil spray.
3) Drain mozzarella, slice into thin circles, and set on paper towels to drain excess moisture.
4) In a skillet, brown beef and season with salt & pepper; drain.
5) To the drained beef, add garlic, tomatoes, and paste. Simmer while following remaining steps.
6) Using the open end of a beverage glass, cut wonton wrappers into circles (you can do multiples at a time).
7) Combine egg, ricotta, parmesan, and basil. Reserve a little parmesan and basil for garnish.
8) Begin layering. Remember, these tins are shallow, so use small amounts. Begin with a wrapper pressed into the tin, a small spoonful of cheese mixture, a small dollop of sauce, and one mozzarella circle. Repeat using 4 wontons for each cup if you can, ending with cheese on top.
9) Sprinkle finished stacks with reserved parmesan.
10) Bake for 20 minutes (edges should be golden), and cool for five minutes.
11) Use a knife to loosen the lasagna, and transfer to a serving tray.
12) Garnish with fresh basil, and serve.